Cottage Health Honors Retired Nurses

Cottage Health Honors Retired Nurses

Staff report

 

Cottage Health recently honored retired nurses and alumnae of the former Knapp College of Nursing at a special event featuring a traditional English tea service at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

More than 80 retired nurses attended the event at Burtness Auditorium, including several who graduated from the Knapp College of Nursing in the 1950s and 1960s. The gathering has been held each year since 2010.

The history of the nursing school at Cottage goes back almost as long as the hospital’s founding 125 years ago. In the early 1900s, George and Louis Knapp made several major donations to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, including the donation in 1923 of a facility and residence hall at 2400 Bath Street for the hospital’s school of nursing. The name was later changed to Knapp College of Nursing.

The nursing school had 923 graduates, with the majority of them working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. In 1968 the Knapp College of Nursing closed its doors and the program was moved to Santa Barbara City College.

Today, the former school site is called the Knapp Building and is the location of the Stewart and Louisa MacDougall Eye Center at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, along with physician offices.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *